المدرسة الافتراضية للترجمة وفنون اللغة العربية (جيمارا)

The Virtual School of Translation and Arabic Related Arts (JEEMARA)

Frequently asked questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequently asked questions

Can I count the words of a TMX in MemoQ?

Yes, but you cannot do it directly. You need to apply several steps to count the source words and target words:
    See blow (Video is here: https://youtu.be/Aul22ZcxwSY)

Step 1: Open a project or create a new one.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 1.png
Views:	222
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	2817

Step 2: Open the project then import the TMX file as if it were an ordinary document for translation

Name:	Step 2.png
Views:	119
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	2818

Step 3: Open the file

Name:	Step 3.png
Views:	119
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	2819

Step 4: Click Statistics to see the Source Text word count.

Name:	Step 4.png
Views:	100
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	2821

Step 5: Export the file to a bilingual table.

Name:	Step 5.png
Views:	124
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	2822

Step 6: Remove unnecessary items and make the word count.

Name:	Step 6.png
Views:	101
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	2824

Attached Files

I need Trados and Memoq on my computer. What are the optimum specifications of the computer?
    Trados, Memoq in addition to basic programmes, such as Office and video editors are too heavy on the computer. This means the computer must have powerful processing capacities. The best option for the time being is i7 processor, 9th generation and the RAM must be 16+. The display adapter is preferably NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650.

Comment

I am installing a CAT (Trados or MemoQ). What recommendations can I have to work safely on them?

This is a good question. Things become bad if the beginning is not safe. First of all, three important types of files should be of concern: the original file, the memory file and the termbase file. Once you use a CAT to translate a file, the CAT software produces dozens of files to process yours in what is called as Project. Each project is connected with a memory and a termbase. A memory has dozens of files, so does a termbase. With this being said, the likelihood and risk for corrupt files are HIGH! If you get any of the component files corrupt, it is very common that you lose all the projects. Some colleagues even talked about having lost all their files.

Therefore, the recommendations are as follows

1) always store the files, memories and termbases by default on a drive other than that of the system. If you have Windows on your C:\ drive, then put the rest of the files on a specific folder on D:\.
      It is not a good idea to keep all your eggs in one basket, you know!

2) download from Microsoft a tool called SyncToy and make sure you keep synchronized copies of all your files including the termbases and memories, just in case you need them

3) always backup your files, preferable in a compressed drive to avoid them being corrupt. We suggest that at any time, you have backups for the past 7 days.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2562 users online. 1 members and 2561 guests.

Most users ever online was 84,330 at 07:54 PM on 02-03-2023.

About us
      The Virtual School for Translation and Arabic Related Arts (JEEMARA) is a place for trainees and professionals to meet and discuss issues related to their self-development.
      Important Links
      Follow us
      Privacy Policy
      Working...
      X