المدرسة الافتراضية للترجمة وفنون اللغة العربية (جيمارا)

The Virtual School of Translation and Arabic Related Arts (JEEMARA)

Words on the proposal defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words on the proposal defense

Mohammed Abu-Risha, February 2020

The time has come where I reach the midway to the completion of the thesis. At this point, I put all my knowledge, experience and passion to the touchstone of peer review at a proposal public defense. In the game of chess, we are taught that a player cannot make an illegal move, atop of which is to play alone, and I have been playing alone for a while. At this moment, I am supposed to present the philosophy of my work and defend my thoughts, and I will do that fiercely. This is the duty of a researcher who believes in his project, but who is also prepared to bear the consequences of wrong choices and biased inclinations. But, everything happens for a purpose and is, somehow, predetermined, as Spinoza holds.

There will be a debate, a give-and-take and there will be compromises, with the goal of perfecting the work. It is not in anyone’s interest for a weak proposal to be passed, when improvements can, otherwise, be made. The ultimate goal for the judges is to reach reality, and for me it is to know myself better through the minds of others.

As humans, we see reality in our own ways, just as Plato told us. Reality is one and unique in the sublime world. It was set to the empirical test of Aristotle, challenged against the idols of Bacon and doubted by Descartes. But our ways of seeing it are different. Our human biases blind one eye, leaving us to encounter the outside world with the second eye, already covered by treacle. Perfection is unattainable, and pursuing it may end in the destruction of its seeker, but it is a noble cause, worth the attempt. Blessed are those whose blood and judgment are so well commingled, says Shakespeare. Nevertheless, there are other versions of perfection, customized for mortals. They can be found in the golden mean of Aristotle, the embodiment of the tathagata of Buddha but certainly the middle way of Islam.

The road to the thesis is not easy. We, as researchers, face many difficulties at the beginning. The simplest difficulty is a stumbling stone. We easily fall by the gentlest breeze, not to mention a violent storm, but we rise again, steadier and more determined to continue the journey until the end, or until we see the end. As days go by, we come to understand that the barriers, obstacles and hurdles were the products of our prejudices, impatience and ignorance. Even little knowledge is dangerous, as Alexander Pope puts it.

On the road, however, we are not alone. Our companions are the higher values that we cherish in our lives. Honesty, integrity and transparency are some of those values. Researchers who had taken up the journey tell us about success and the recipe includes a daring soul, a brave heart and a brilliant mind. They tell us about the feelings they have now, and notwithstanding the moments of sweat and tears (and coffee of course), they completed the journey. Perhaps, the work they did was not perfect, but it still gives them a genuine sense of pride. Reflecting on everything they did, they enjoy the mixed feelings of happiness and pain they have been through. They enjoy it because it made them better, more knowledgeable and wiser. They enjoy it as they have become contributors to society and humanity at large. They enjoy it, simply because it is impossible not to enjoy it.

We will be there one day. It only takes time. It only takes patience. It only takes an attitude and a smile.

Guest If you have time, please translate the above post and paste your translation in a reply. When you put the Arabic text, select all of it then click the icon ض in the icon bar to preserve the correct alignment.

Comment

This text will be submitted Tuesday night too ان شاءالله

Comment

• Mohammed
        Mohammed commented
        Editing a comment
        What about your avatar? I asked you to put your own avatar instead of the default coffee cup.

من قوانين لعبة الشطرنج أنه لا يمكن للاعب القيام بخطوة غير قانونية وعلى رأسها اللعبُ بمفرده ولأنني كنت ألعبُ وحدي لفترة من الوقت؛ وضعتُ كل ما لدي من معرفة وخبرة وشغف حين وصلتُ إلى منتصفِ الطريق في التحضيرِ للأطروحة لمواجهة النظراء في مقترح الدفاع العام، وفي هذه اللحظة عليَّ أن أقدّم الفلسفةَ التي يقومُ عليها عملي والدفاعَ بشراسةٍ عن أفكاري لأنه وببساطة هذا هو واجب الباحثِ الذي يؤمنُ بما يقومُ به والمستعدِ لتحملّ نتائج قرارته الخاطئة والمنحازة أحياناً، لكن كل شيءٍ يحدثُ لحكمة ما يةون مقدراً مسبقاً كما يرى الفيلسوف باروخ سبينوزا.

ولأنه ليس من مصلحة أحد أن يتم طرح اقتراحٍ ضعيف عندما يمكن طرحُ الأفضل؛ سيكونُ هناك جدالٌ وتبادل اقتراحات ولابدّ من وجود تنازلاتٍ أيضاً ، خلافُ ذلك سيكون الوصول الى الواقع هو الهدفُ النهائي للقضاة وبالنسبة لي هو معرفة نفسي من خلال عقول الآخرين بشكلٍ أفضل.
      كبشر، الواقع كما أخبرنا أفلاطون - شيء وحيد وفريد في هذا العالم السامي- كان قد تم تعيينه للاختبار التجريبي لارسطو، طعن في مثالية بيكون وتشكك فيه ديكارت، كل منا يرى بطريقة مختلفة فتحيزاتنا البشرية تُغمض لنا عيناً وتجعلنا نواجه العالم بعين واحدة بعد ان تغطيها بالذي تريد، فالكمال لا. يُمكن تحقيقه والركض بجهلٍ وراءه يؤدي إلى هلاك طالبه، لكن لا شك أنه أمر نبيل يستحق السعي والمثابرة اليه وكما يقول شكسبير :"طوبى لأولئك الذين اختلط دمهم وحكمهم"، وبالتاكيد هنالك اشكال اخرى للكمال مخصصة للبشر يمكن ايجادها في الوسط الذهبي لأرسطو وهو تجسيد لتاثاتا بوذا ولكن بالتأكيد الحل الوسط هو الإسلام.

نحنُ كباحثين نواجه العديد من الصعوبات في البداية فالطريق الى الاطروحة ليس سهلاً وأبسط مثال حجر عثرة، ونسقط بسهولة من قبَل نسمة خفيفة حتى ناهيك عن عاصفةٍ عنيفة لكننا نرتفع مرة أخرى بثباتٍ وتصميمٍ أكبر على مواصلة ما بدأناه حتى النهاية، او حتى نرى انها النهاية.

مع مرور الأيام أدركنا أن جهلنا وقلة الصبر هي سبب الحواجز والعقبات وتلك الصعوبات التي واجهناها كما يقول أليكساندر بوب " حتى القليل من المعرفة يشكل خطراً" .

الصدق، النزاهة والشفافية هي احدى القيمّ التي نعتزُ بامتلاكها والتي على رغم طول الطريق لم تتركنا وحيدين، يخبرنا الباحثون الذين سبقَ وصنعوا طريقهم بأّ الوصفة تتطلبُ شجاعة وبراعة، يخبروننا عن شعورهم الآن بعد ما أكل العرق والقلق والدموع -والقهوة بالطبع- جزءاً كبيراً من وقتهم وعلى رغم لحظات التعبِ تلك إلا أنهم استمروا، لا يتطلبُ الأمرُ عملاً مثالياً لتشعر بالفخر، أنت تستحقهُ على كل حال لما تحملته من الألم المختلط بالسعادة على هذا الطريق، تستحقهُ لأنك اليوم أكثر داية وحكمة، تسمتعُ لانك تشكل الان جزءاً لا يتجزأ من هذا المجتمع ولأنك ببساط لا يمكنك ألّا تستمتع به، ستكونُ يوماً هواك وهذا لا يتطلب سوى الصبر و ابتسامة طوال الوقت، وتذكر ان "الواقفين على قمم الجبال لم يسقطوا من السماء هناك".

Comment

• Mohammed
        Mohammed commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Next time, before you submit the post, make sure that you select all Arabic texts and click the ض icon. I already told you that before, you know.

Guest I think something is missing in translation. The article begins with "
      The time has come where I reach the midway to the completion of the thesis" and this should be maintainied in the translation. If you have changed the order of the translation, can I ask you to review and put back those elements to their original locations? Otherwise, you will give me a hrad time cross-checking your work with the original text. Note: You cannot haphazardly change the order of text. Sometimes, you have to, but it is only sometimes. It is not 'always'.

In your revision, also, correct common mistakes in Arabic and replace them with something better in Arabic. In particular, never say قام بدراسة but درس. Not: تم دراسة but دُرِسَ. Talking abou the حركات, it is not enough to put one haraka on one letter in a word. If you use the haraka, you have to put all harkat on the word of your choice. This is what we call الحركات الذكية.

Comment

I am trying to use some time to give you an alternative translation. Here is the first part. What you need to do is to focus on the readability of translation.

من قوانين لعبة الشطرنج أنه لا يمكن للاعب القيام بخطوة غير قانونية وعلى رأسها اللعبُ بمفرده ولأنني كنت ألعبُ وحدي لفترة من الوقت؛ وضعتُ كل ما لدي من معرفة وخبرة وشغف حين وصلتُ إلى منتصفِ الطريق في التحضيرِ للأطروحة لمواجهة النظراء في مقترح الدفاع العام، وفي هذه اللحظة عليَّ أن أقدّم الفلسفةَ التي يقومُ عليها عملي والدفاعَ بشراسةٍ عن أفكاري لأنه وببساطة هذا هو واجب الباحثِ الذي يؤمنُ بما يقومُ به والمستعدِ لتحملّ نتائج قرارته الخاطئة والمنحازة أحياناً، لكن كل شيءٍ يحدثُ لحكمة ما يةون مقدراً مسبقاً كما يرى الفيلسوف باروخ سبينوزا

لقد حان الوقت ووصلت إلى منتصف الطريق نحو إنهاء الأطروحة. لقد جاءت اللحظة التي يُفتَرض بي أن أضع بها كل ما لدي من معارف وخبرات وشغف على محكِّ الاختبار ومراجعة الأنداد فيما يُسمَّى بالمناقشة العامة لمقترح البحث. لقد تعلمنا في لعبة الشطرنج أنَّ هناك حركات غير جائزة، وأولها أن لا يحق للاعب أن يلعب بمفرده، وبالفعل، فقد كنت في هذا البحث لاعباً منفرداً لبرهة من الزمن دون رقيب أو حسيب. ثم وصلت إلى هذا المآل، وعندها علي أن أعرض فلسفة العمل الذي قامت عليه الدراسة وأدافع ما استطعت عن وجهات نظري وآرائي، شأني بذلك شأن كل باحث يقع عليه واجب الاستماتة في تدعيم ما خلص إليه فكره ووجدانه ما آمن بمشروعه البحثي، لكنَّ الأمر يتطلب من الباحث أيضاً أن يتحمل تبعات ما أخطأ به من قرارات وخيارات وتحيزات. ومع ذلك أقول، ما يحدث شيء إلا لحكمة قد لا ندرك كنهها، أو قد نكون في بعض الأحيان مسيرين لا مخيرين، كما يقول الفيلسوف سبينوزا.
        ولأنه ليس من مصلحة أحد أن يتم طرح اقتراحٍ ضعيف عندما يمكن طرحُ الأفضل؛ سيكونُ هناك جدالٌ وتبادل اقتراحات ولابدّ من وجود تنازلاتٍ أيضاً ، خلافُ ذلك سيكون الوصول الى الواقع هو الهدفُ النهائي للقضاة وبالنسبة لي هو معرفة نفسي من خلال عقول الآخرين بشكلٍ أفضل.

كبشر، الواقع كما أخبرنا أفلاطون - شيء وحيد وفريد في هذا العالم السامي- كان قد تم تعيينه للاختبار التجريبي لارسطو، طعن في مثالية بيكون وتشكك فيه ديكارت، كل منا يرى بطريقة مختلفة فتحيزاتنا البشرية تُغمض لنا عيناً وتجعلنا نواجه العالم بعين واحدة بعد ان تغطيها بالذي تريد، فالكمال لا. يُمكن تحقيقه والركض بجهلٍ وراءه يؤدي إلى هلاك طالبه، لكن لا شك أنه أمر نبيل يستحق السعي والمثابرة اليه وكما يقول شكسبير :"طوبى لأولئك الذين اختلط دمهم وحكمهم"، وبالتاكيد هنالك اشكال اخرى للكمال مخصصة للبشر يمكن ايجادها في الوسط الذهبي لأرسطو وهو تجسيد لتاثاتا بوذا ولكن بالتأكيد الحل الوسط هو الإسلام

سوف تشهد جلسة المناقشة أخذاً ورداً وقد يكون هناك بعض التنازلات في الآراء والأطروحات، فالهدف الأكيد الوصول إلى الحقيقة، فليس لأحد مصلحة في الموافقة على خطة بحث معيبة إذا كان بالإمكان تفادي نقاط الضعف وتحسينها، ولذلك أرى المُحكِّمين يبحثون عن الحقيقة، وأرى نفسي أبحث عن معرفة نفسي من خلال عقول الآخرين.

فنحن بشر في نهاية المطاف لا ندرك الحقيقة الحقَّة، كما قال افلاطون. فالحقيقة واحدة، فريدة لا متعددة متنوعة. إنها الحقيقة التي اختبرها أرسطو من خلال أسلوبه التجريبي، وهي الحقيقة التي تحداها بايكون على ضوء الأصنام المعرفية وشكك بها ديكارت. لكل منهم طريقته، لكنَّ المشكلة الحقيقة تكمن في اختلاف نظرتنا نحن للحقيقة. فعقولنا البشرية اعمت العين الأولى لنا وتركتنا نواجه العالم من حولنا بالعين الأخرى التي غشَّاها الضباب، فهيهات أن نصل إلى الحقيقة وهيهات أن نبلغ درجات الكمال. بل إنَّ كل من يسعى إلى الكمال ما هو إلا في وهم سرعان ما يرمي به إلى التهلكة. شكسبير قالها من قبل "طوبى لمن وافق عقله قلبه". إلا أنَّ ذلك لا يمنع أن نسعى لصورة من صور الكمال مخصصة لنا معشر البشر الفانين، نجدها في الوسيط الذهبي لأرسطو، وفي تجسيد الرجل الكامل لبوذا ولا شك في أننا قبل ذلك وبعده نجدها في الطريق الوسط في الإسلام.

Comment

I didn’t get it. Is this an introduction or an article for practice? Will you write about your philosophy?

Comment

• Mohammed
            Mohammed commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello Lujain. This is what I wrote before the public defense. I have passed it :) A trainee translated it and I made some comments.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2821 users online. 3 members and 2818 guests.

Most users ever online was 84,330 at 07:54 PM on 02-03-2023.

About us
        The Virtual School for Translation and Arabic Related Arts (JEEMARA) is a place for trainees and professionals to meet and discuss issues related to their self-development.
        Important Links
        Follow us
        Privacy Policy
        Working...
        X