المدرسة الافتراضية للترجمة وفنون اللغة العربية (جيمارا)

The Virtual School of Translation and Arabic Related Arts (JEEMARA)

Interpreting Biden's inauguration speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpreting Biden's inauguration speech

Here you are!

مرحبا دكتور اللحظة لي تكلم فيها بايدن على الحرب الاهلية نعم كما سبق و أشرت إليها حضرتك حسيتك مش مرتاح و تكلمت عليها بسرعة ثم مباشرة هو غير الموضوع و قال شيء ثاني فحضرتك رحت وراه لموضوع آخر فالمستمع ممكن يكون حس بضياع لوهلة ، الشيء اللي لاحظته أن هذا النوع من الخطابات خاصة عندما يكون المتحدث أمريكي تجدهم يعودون إلى التاريخ كثيرا برأيي هذا ممكن يوجد صعوبة للمترجم خاصة لما يكون شيء جديد عليه او شيء من الثقافة تاعهم الامر اللي يخلي المترجم يضيع قليلا، هذا امر لاحظته من فضلك صححلي إذا كنت مخطئة. ما أحبه في الفيديوهات التعليمية اللي تحطهم دكتور انك تتكلم بصراحة قبل الفيديوهات عادة على المصاعب اللي تحصلك خلال الترجمة و هذا شيء يساعدنا كثيرا كمترجمين مبتدئين و يخفف علينا الضغط لما نشوف الصعوبات التي يمكن أن يمر بها المترجم المحترف يعني عندما نلقى نحن صعوبات لا نلوم أنفسنا كثيرا. انا جربت البارحة ترجمة خطاب سياسي قصير ووجدته صعب جدا و نص الكلام راح علي يعني ضعت بس حبيت احاول. شكرا لك دكتور على الفيديو و آسفة على الإطالة???

Comment

So doctor what I understood is: stress is the key actually and the fact that the interpreter is not supposed to interpret the whole material with utmost accuracy makes it a bit easier. Making some mistakes is not a big deal and it will not kill the translation, if well managed by the interpreter( when he is smart and have enough reflex to save himself effectively and rapidly by choosing linking words in a way that makes the listener confused a bit then boom he comes back on track thanks to those linking words and the techniques used by the interpreter to make it seem like a normal transition as though it was actually what the original speaker said. Thus, the listener continues focusing on what follows. Thanks for your elaboration doctor.
      Last edited by Touria; 01-21-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Well said Touria and Vicky. Exactly! This is why I am putting those speeches. They are super difficult. If I really interpret in this way in a high level exam I certainly fail. Now, in real interpreting sotuation, we interpret under stress which makes us produce much better results. We also are not required to translate everything so our rendering is always 100% accurate. This is so interesting because otherwise if we are required to interpret everything, that is linear interpreting, we will be overstretched. There is no human power to render that.

You are right Touria about me skipping. What happened is that from experience I know I can never stop and that I cannot give incomplete sentences so I immediately link up utterance A with utterance B. In between there could be missing phrases. In normal conditions, we make editing. This is impossible in a formal speech.

This is why translating a speech is very very big nightmare.

Comment

Only now, I had the chance to hear the video. frankly speaking I found your translation ** Mohammad accurate. I heard it last night on BBC World Service. You did not miss any thing for sure. Thanks for your splendid efforts.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5357 users online. 6 members and 5351 guests.

Most users ever online was 84,330 at 07:54 PM on 02-03-2023.

About us
          The Virtual School for Translation and Arabic Related Arts (JEEMARA) is a place for trainees and professionals to meet and discuss issues related to their self-development.
          Important Links
          Follow us
          Privacy Policy
          Working...
          X